Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have many brand-new methods and scientific developments emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor won't inform you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what steps are required to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser get more surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however don't expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is get more real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide much better see here vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.